- This event has passed.
Lotus in the Park
September 29 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
Lotus in the Park
Saturday, September 29 | Noon – 5:00pm
Waldron, Hill, and Buskirk Park (Third Street Park, 331 S. Washington St.)
FREE | OPEN TO THE PUBLIC | ALL-AGES
A full afternoon of performances, workshops, and hands-on fun for the whole family! Bring your lawnchair or blanket and enjoy the festivities. Lotus in the Park is free and open to the public, thanks to the generous support of Lotus sponsors, donors, and grantors.
On the MAIN STAGE
- 12:00-12:45pm — GLOBAL VOICES: Kaumakaiwa Kanaka’ole (Hawaii), and Anandi Bhattacharya (India)
- 2:00-2:45pm — AMERICAN ACOUSTIC: Molsky’s Mountain Drifters (US), Sam Amidon (US), and Hawktail (US)
- 2:30-3:15pm — Bicentennial Song with Jeff Cannon
- 4:15-5:00pm — Orquesta el Macabeo (Puerto Rico)
- 1:00-1:45pm — Gao Hong & Issam Rafea (US, China, Syria)
- 3:15-4:00pm — Maracatu Brazilian Rhythm Workshop with Colleen Haas and Women of Mass Percussion
ART CAMP (NOON-5:00PM)
- City of Bloomington Latino Outreach – fold Mexican paper flowers!
- Indiana Limestone Symposium – try your hand carving Limestone with local artists.
- Lotus – Brazilian Carnival Maracatu instruments, including ganzas (shakers) to use in the Lotus Parade! Contribute to a collaborative circle weaving project too.
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures – make crafts featuring hats, animals, and instruments relating to the museum’s current exhibitions Heads and Tales, and Playing with Animals: Musical Instruments.
- Newfields – create masks! Inspired by the museum’s current exhibition Making Faces: The Remarkable Masks of Master Bidou Yamaguchi.
- T.C. Steele State Historic Site – paint a mural inspired by this celebrated Indiana artist.
- Park your bicycle in the Salt Creek Cycles Bike Corral – Lower your Festival footprint by cycling to the Park! Cyclists receive a 15% discount coupon for a purchase at Salt Creek Cycles. With maps and info from the Bloomington Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety’s Commission.
FOOD AT LOTUS IN THE PARK
Located on Lincoln Street near the park playground. Cash and credit cards accepted. Vegetarian and meat options available.
- La Poblana Mexican Food Truck: Burritos * Tacos * Tortas (Mexican Sandwich) * Chips & Queso * Nachos Poblanos * Tamales * Quesadillas * Taco Salad * Special Platters * Variety of sides * Beverages (Horchata, Jamaica Hibiscus Tea, Mexican Coke, Jarritos, Water, Sodas)
- Pili’s Party Taco: Burros / Burritos * Tacos * Tortas (Mexican Sandwich) * Nachos * Elotes (Grilled Mexican Corn) * Gringas (Flour tortilla filled with cheese, al pastor (meat), and pineapple; grilled like a quesadilla)
- The Chocolate Moose: Ice Cream (Variety of homemade ice cream flavors including vegan options) * Beverages (Water, Boylan’s soda, STIR Mobile drinks, Teavana tea, Circle City Kombucha)
The Art Camp at Lotus in the Park is supported by Dr. Lisa J. Baker, DDS of Baker Family Dentistry, PC. The Global Education Pavilion is supported by the IU Center for the Study of Global Change. General support for Lotus in the Park is provided by Dr. Jill Reitmeyer at The Dental Care Center, CFC Properties, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
(Photos by Daniel Axler and Garrett Poortinga/Green Hat Media)