Coming Up . . .
On Friday, February 7, our Power of Pattern backdrop exhibit opens at Bloomington’s City Hall. For the entire month, the backdrop will be on display in the atrium, along with other project “artifacts”: panels that were part of the design testing process, banners decorated by community members, and a selection of the blocks used to print designs. Join us at the opening reception on Friday (5 – 7pm; free) — and you’ll also have a chance to meet our new executive director, Sunni Fass.
Our 2014 Lotus Blossoms Educational Outreach begins this month, and once again, we welcome the Raymond Foundation as our presenting sponsor. While most of that programming happens in schools, we have special free public events for all ages:
- February 20, 7 pm: Kalapriya performs Bharata Natyam Indian dance at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures (416 N. Indiana)
- March 2, 2 – 3:30 pm: Be part of our Masks Around the World arts project at the Mathers Museum’s Carnaval Craft Day
- March 24, 7 pm (doors open at 6:30): Québécois trio Genticorum presents a workshop and performance at the Monroe County Public Library Auditorium (303 E. Kirkwood). Note that while this event is free, seating is on a first come, first served basis; auditorium capacity is 144.
- March 29, 11 am – 2 pm: Bring the kids to Family Day at the Lotus Blossoms Bazaar at Binford Elementary School (2300 E. 2nd; in the gymnasium)
From Development Director Kristin Varella: “In celebration of our 20th-anniversary many generous donors have made great strides to ensure that Lotus is a permanent part of Bloomington’s cultural life.” Find out more about our endowment-building progress here.
Sales from our Lotus commemorative T-shirts and letterpress posters have contributed more than $5,000 to the endowment so far. They’re still available — and they make great gifts for the Lotus fan in your life.
- Power of Pattern Exhibit at City Hall: February 7 – 28
- Kalapriya Indian dance: February 20
- Mathers Museum’s Carnaval Craft Day: March 2
- Genticorum Workshop & Performance: March 24
- Family Day at the Lotus Blossoms Bazaar: March 29
- Edible Lotus: May 2
- Lotus World Music & Arts Festival: Sept. 18 – 21
2013 Lotus World Music and Arts Festival presented by
Indiana University Bloomington and Bloomingfoods, with support from the National Endowment for the Arts. Corporate Sponsorship support from BEAD, the Bloomington Entertainment and Arts District; Bloom Magazine; Carey Worldwide Chauffeured Services; the Efroymson Family Fund; IU Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President; IU Office of the VP for Public Affairs and Government Relations; Ivy Tech Community College; Medical Friends of Lotus; Organized Living; and Visit Bloomington. With additional support from the Arts Midwest Performing Arts Fund, the Bloomington Arts Commission, the Indiana Arts Commission and Ivy Tech Community College Bloomington, and the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County.
This is a publication of the Lotus Education & Arts Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization. Its mission is to create opportunities to experience, celebrate, and explore the diversity of the world’s cultures, through music and the arts.